Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Nothing New Beginnings


My New Year's resolution this year was to purchase everything I could second-hand (excluding the intimate items...). I would really like to say it was because I wanted to do my help in putting an end to unnecessary waste plaguing the world, but really we were just broke. You have to start somewhere, right!? I started by making a list (I love my lists!) of home improvements and ideas that I have been severly neglecting and began to research the how-to's, what's and what not's. It was during this time that the heavens opened up and I discovered the promised land that is Pintrest. We will talk about that later...

 I decided that in order to be sucessful in this adventure I needed to figure out how to get my hands on free/cheap supplies. I discovered the greatness of Goodwill, Craigslist, Value Village and my absolute favorite...Habitat for Humanity ReStore. These places are amazing for good finds and sweet deals ($29.99 Mac Mini? Again, that will be a later post). Suddenly things were affordable again and I was able to create amazing originals, or reproduce out-of-my-price-range-but-love items.

Now this was not limited to household appliances and furnishings but clothes as well. I have always wanted to be a girly-girl with the professional outfits and fancy heels, but I am more of a t-shirt and jeans type of girl so this challenged me to create a more inspiring wardrobe so I could feel girly. And I liked it! I found new and interesting ways to put lace and fringe on things, pops of color completed an outfit, and I learned to walk in heels. I can say I am honestly enjoying this whole new look on being a woman.

This challege quickly became less about saving money, and more about expression and finding myself again. I learned new skills and am still learning, albeit under supervision when it comes to power tools, so I decided to start a blog. I wanted to re-live my journey thus far and possibly encourage others to partake in this challenge. So here goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment